pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Comcast/SUSE 10.1 segfault resolved.

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Comcast/SUSE 10.1 segfault resolved.
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:03:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:33:57 -0400, David Shochat wrote:

> Fixed the problem by going to a brand new, empty, home directory. I
> think the many dotfiles and "dotdirs" created by gnome, gtk and friends
> must have a way of going bad with time.

Heh.  The gnome folks release early, release often, and clearly intend
to drive everyone crazy.  (They've succeeded in my case, at least.)

> I would guess that it happened
> when I upgraded from SUSE 10.0 to 10.1. I updated bug 346588 and unless
> this is all a dream, I suppose it can now be closed. It is still strange
> that I only got the segfault with Comcast and giganews, but that will
> most likely never be explained. -- David

You may be right that no one will ever know -- but I feel strongly that
no application should *ever* segfault from unexpected input.  And I've
written a couple of them myself :o/

If you still have the old home directory maybe you could save the .pan2
directory somewhere safe, and then try using it again in a few months
to see if future versions of pan still crash.  That's the sort of trick
that hackers use to find vulnerable machines, or so I've read.