pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Tools menu in Pan 0.111

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Tools menu in Pan 0.111
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 20:56:03 +0000 (UTC)

arndalebilo <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:27:16
+0930:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 07:56:03 +0930, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> arndalebilo <address@hidden> posted
>> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 07 Sep 2006 06:50:33
>> +0930:

>>> That sounds like what I need.  Will look into it.
>>
> So what's the syntax?
>
>> pan -h
> Pan 0.111
>
> General Options
>    -h, --help               Show this usage page.
>
> URL Options
>    news:message-id          Show the specified article.
>    news:group.name          Show the specified newsgroup.
>    --nogui                  On news:message-id, dump the article to stdout.
>
> NZB Batch Options
>    --nzb file1 file2 ...    Process nzb files without launching all of Pan.
>    -o path, --output=path   Path to save attachments listed in the nzb
> files.
>    --nogui                  Only show console output, not the download
> queue.
>
> Doesn't give any obvious clues...

Use the --nzb option with an appropriate nzb file.  Use --nogui and -o
path as appropriate.

Or use news:msg-id.

Particularly with the --nzb option, you can download all sorts of stuff to
go thru later.  Of course, you do need a good source for nzb files, a
different problem entirely...

Perhaps more to your needs would be simply selecting all the articles,
then hitting Download Selected Articles (on the Articles menu).  Note that
with this, you may need to increase your cache size beyond pan's default
10MB (IIRC). Otherwise it's possible you'll hit max cache and pan will
start deleting articles it's just downloaded before you've had a
chance to read them!  Cache size is an option only for those directly
editing their preferences.xml config file at present. For my binary
instance of pan, I have the cache symlinked to a dedicated 12 GB
partition, with cache size set accordingly.  Anyway, with an appropriately
sized cache, the download selected action doesn't display or save the
articles, and doesn't mark them read, only downloading them to cache,
where you can go thru them later.