pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Tools menu in Pan 0.111

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Tools menu in Pan 0.111
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:01:16 +0000 (UTC)

arndalebilo <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:05:38
+0930:

> I've taken to building Pan from source in order to get the spellchecker
> working in SUSE 10.1.
> All went well with 0.110 and 0.111, but where are 'rules', 'edit score
> file' etc?
>
> Will it be back in 1.0 or did I not configure something?

Currently, pan has scoring (the new scorefile format is a bit stricter to
slrn however so the file formats aren't identical), but no feature
equivalent to old-pan's rules.  If you depended on rules and did
text-groups-only or otherwise didn't run into the memory scaling or
multi-server handling problems that new-pan handles far better, it may be
worthwhile to stay with the old version for now.

Do note, however, that new-pan has a command-line mode that can be used
for download for offline reading.  That may or may not be a suitable
substitute, as it's an entirely different feature, but I see you mentioned
offline reading further down the thread so maybe the command-line fetching
will do what you need.