pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] One confusing thing about the 'group search' widget

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] One confusing thing about the 'group search' widget
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:37:12 -0500

walt wrote:

I know that, technically speaking, this problem is PEBKAC ;o)

However, I've been caught by this same irritation so many times
that I thought I'd invite other opinions.

The only time I search for group names in the Group Pane is
when I want to investigate a group I'm not already subscribed
to.  (I have a very short 'Subscribed' list -- so no need to
search it.)

So.  I type alt.foo in the search widget, and then start reading
alt.foo in the headers pane, and all is good.

But, when I return to my usual 'subscribed' groups, the list
of subscribed groups is blank -- because alt.foo is not in my
list of subscribed groups, yet 'alt.foo' is still in the group-
search widget.

IMO, the group-search widget should be blanked out any time
I return to the Groups Pane.  My reason for searching for
alt.foo is gone -- I've already found it and decided not to
subscribe.

Any contrary opinions?

Yes.  I think this is a bad idea:

* It makes filtering subscribed groups impossible.

* It makes it imposssible to visit more than one group per filter,
  since the filter resets when you return to the group pane.

* It makes the group pane's entry field behave inconsistently
  with the header pane's entry field.

* "returning to the group pane" only parses in tabbed mode.
  In three-pane mode, "return" likely means clicking on
  the group pane to give it focus.  But if you're trying to
  find your subscribed groups to click on them, then you've
  still got the same problem _before_ you click/"return".

It wouldn't make a good preferences option, either. ;)

cheers,
Charles