pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.114: "You'll Have to Go Sideways"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.114: "You'll Have to Go Sideways"
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:34:52 +0000 (UTC)

"Frederic Bezies" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:46:32 +0200:

>> But as for the 1.0 question... I thought we'd be there by now, but
>> it really just depends on how the bug reports go.  I'd much rather
>> release a stable 1.0 than worry about timelines.
>>

> I am trained with features based releases software like firefox ;)
>
> So, I may say that Pan is beginning to smell like a 1.0rc release ;)

I figured we'd be there by now as well, but now you see why my earlier
predictions were for "by the end of the year." =8^)  Then you (Charles)
said you didn't know what would take that long, and I agreed, and started
saying we hoped by August.  Now it's looking like we won't make Sept, but
my original "by the end of the year" still looks reasonably safe. =8^)

Actually, IMO if we weren't trying to make this the big 1.0, pan has been
stable enough for several releases to make it a "stable" release in the
old pre 0.15 line.  However, we /do/ want a /very/ stable 1.0 as it's a
HUGE milestone, and it /does/ appear we are getting very close. =8^)

I did see another bug in 0.113 that reoccurred a couple times, but am
experiencing difficulties getting a good test case, and suspect 0.114 may
have fixed it in any case.  The problem was with multiple uuencoded
attachments -- I'm not sure if it was multiple attachments or just
uuencoded attachments.  Anyway, pan was seeing and decoding them (if
images) to display, but was only /saving/ one of the attachments, if asked
to save them.  I had the opposite happen as well -- multipart posts with
single attachments that pan was screwing up the save of, but if I saved the
text-articles to a scratch dir, uudeview could decode them properly.  I'm
not sure if that was a different manifestation of the same bug or a
different one.  Anyway, I've not seen it with 0.114 yet and was trying to
get an appropriate test-case before that, so we'll see if 0.114 does it or
not and go from there, I guess.  It's frustrating when the bug can't be
properly defined and a test case demonstrated. =8^(