pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: No search widgets in 0.113

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: No search widgets in 0.113
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 01:35:55 +0000 (UTC)

Johan Ovlinger <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:24:40
-0400:

> Duncan wrote:
>> "johan ovlinger" posted [as] excerpted below, on  Tue, 26 Sep 2006
>> 15:40:34 +0000:
>>
>> That's an awful old gtk, I have 2.10.3 here:
>
> I've been meaning to upgrade [gtk] but my box started out as FC 2, I
> think, and the repositories are getting thin on the ground; by now most
> rpms are franken-upgraded to a mis-mash of half installed from source,
> half installed from rpms others have rolled up, and half are just out of
> date.
>
> One of these days I'll just do a clean re-install, but gawd, that's a
> pain I'd just as well put off indefinitely. ugh.
>
> I'll see if I can't coerce GTK2 to install on the machine.

I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading gtk.  As you said, by now you
are looking at franken-packages in many cases, so upgrading the entire
install makes more sense.  As I said, file a pan bug and Charles will
likely figure out how to implement the lost changes in a compatible way,
as it's not going to be just you with an old gtk+.

One of the great things about Gentoo is that full release all-at-one-time
upgrades aren't the way Gentoo likes to do things.  Rather, you install
once and upgrade each package as the updates become available.  Once in
awhile you upgrade your profile to point to a later release, as old ones
eventually go unsupported, but even then, it's generally only a few
packages that were masked on the old profile due to incompatibilities that
will need upgraded, as everything else has been updated as new versions
came along and stabilized.

Of course, Gentoo has its downsides too.  Not everyone has a fast enough
machine to find compiling from source practical, and others simply prefer
to let their distribution make the decisions and take many of the
responsibilities that Gentoo leaves for the end user sysadmin.  Gentoo's
not for everyone, but one thing it /does/ do quite effectively is
eliminate the pain of the release snapshot-in-time effect that most
distributions suffer.  That's one of many reasons I like it.

So anyway, file that bug as you won't be the only one with an old gtk, and
Charles /has/ been trying to keep compatibility with it.  I'm not sure I'd
want to chance upgrading gtk on a generally old base either.