pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Testers wanted: memory reduction for alt.binaries

From: fred
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Testers wanted: memory reduction for alt.binaries
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:04:20 -0500

Charles Kerr wrote:
fred wrote:
Charles Kerr wrote:

Are you kidding me?!  a.b.dvd ate up your 4gb swap in 0.114.
I knew this was a good patch, surely you're not telling me
it saved 4gb??

When I got up it was done downloading. 1.6gb/2.0gb no swap used. Downloading a test iso now to see that there are not any hiccups.
> Looks like you get a A++ on this one Charles.

I've done a little more testing on this now.

I put some print statements in to count how many bytes were saved.
For a one-month sample of a.b.dvd, (465420691 bytes, == 443.8 meg)
were saved.  Pan's footprint was 506 meg, and just starting up
Pan costs 33 meg, so a.b.dvd cost (506-33 == 473) meg.

So it looks the cost for large groups is cut about in half.

I haven't looked at smaller groups yet.  They should be
helped a little but not as big a percentage as the big groups.
The more parts an article has, the more this patch will help.

Charles