pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: hairbrained, wild-eyed, blue sky idea

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: hairbrained, wild-eyed, blue sky idea
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:31:58 +0000 (UTC)

Bruce Bowler <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 02
Oct 2006 11:10:20 -0400:

> I currently read news on at least 3 different machines (2 at work [linux,
> windows], 1 at home[windows]).  Keeping straight what I've read, where
> I've read it, etc can be a real pain in the ...
>
> What about some sort of "centralized" data store for all of pan's
> settings?  It would certainly require an additional server process to
> manage itself, and I could see how performance might "inhale briskly", but
> it sure would be handy...

In place of Les' suggestion of shared drive for the entire data dir, if
you don't want to keep /everything/ shared, note that the newsrc files are
what track what has been read on each server.  You could copy everything
else to all your installations once, then just keep the newsrc files
synced between them.

The newsrc files should be small enough to keep on a thumb drive or the
like, if necessary, altho they'd be changing often enough that operating
from a thumb drive directly isn't such a good idea.  MSWormOS doesn't do
symlinks (AFAIK) so that's out, but you could create a script that copies
them from a network share or whatever before starting pan, then runs pan,
and copies them back after pan quits, on the MSWormOS side anyway.  On the
Linux side you could either do that or use symlinks, depending on what
works best for the storage you've chosen.