pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: rules and attachments

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: rules and attachments
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:59:09 +0000 (UTC)

joe smith <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below,
on  Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:20:00 -0700:

> I looked at the score rules window and there is no reference to
> attachments, so  I can not say somethnig like: "remove all article with
> attachments" or "remove all articles without attachments". any idea how
> to accomplish that ?
>
> as for filtering using these rules, I assume you mean something along
> the lines of the following:
> 1. assign a score to the article based on rule (e.g. subject contains
> "make money now")
> 2. do not match that score.
> 3. let the article die after the period specified for the program as a
> whole.

Basically, set ignored on a subject line, yes.

What I do now rather than letting them expire naturally is set the display
to show ignored posts too, click the score column to order by score,
select all the ignored posts, and hit delete.

> note to Charles:
> it seems to me that saying something like "remove all articles that
> match this criteria right now" makes more sense, any chance or returning
> that functionality ?

Charles has said this is what he's planning.  However, it's not going to
make 1.0.  Given the number of folks that want this sort of functionality,
however, and the fact that with rules it was possible with old-pan, it's a
fair bet to say it'll make it into 1.1 or whatever the next stable series
is called.

The idea would be more than auto-kill ignored, however.  At the same time,
negative scored articles will probably be auto-marked-read, and watched
articles auto-downloaded.  Ideally, there'd at least be a checkbox for
each of these controlling whether it's active or not.  I'd probably set
ignored to delete automatically on my text group pan instance, but not in
my binary group instance, where I prefer to once-over them just in case,
first.  (Instances refer to the ability to use the PAN_HOME environmental
variable to set pan's working dir, and therefore to run more than one
instance, with different settings, by having one set to one location, one
to another.  I have separate binary, text, and testing instances.)