pan-users

RE: [Pan-users] Re: keyboard help

From: M B
Subject: RE: [Pan-users] Re: keyboard help
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 09:44:22 -0500

Execelent.
I cant say I've found such mailing lists and news groups all that helpfull in the past... a nice change in getting a constructive reply.

From: "Duncan" <address@hidden>
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: keyboard help
"M B" <address@hidden> posted
> I didnt really want to be on this mailing list, but where do I go for
> keyboard help?
??  I'm not sure what you are asking there, but the keyboard shortcuts are
listed beside the menu entries if appropriate.  Note that it's possible to
remap keyboard shortcuts if desired.  I won't go into that here but ask if
you want to do so and can't figure it out -- that part's not so intuitive,
but it's not all pan's fault as pan is simply using gtk+ for the widgets
and inheriting its keyboard shortcut policies.

Yes, I see the key help on the menu items (nice, and expected),
I dont know much about gtk+.
I guess I was hoping for a cheat-sheet.

BTW, you didn't mention what version of pan, either.  Some of the below
assumes the 0.1xx series (currently 0.117), shortly to be 1.0.  If you are
using the older 0.14.x series, say so, as it's rather different.  It is
BTW also old and no longer under development.  You are encouraged to
upgrade to the newest pan, but of course it's your choice.  There are
major differences, however, thus my asking what version you are using.

Sorry.  Pan 0.14.2.91.   I didn't go past yum update pan...
I guess I should download from the homepage.
.. I found pan-0.116-1.i686.rpm   for FC5 (under a broken FC6 link)
0.14.2 is the stable release, but I'm looking for improvments.
Cool.  rpm does make it a bit easier.
Space to next unread... now an obvious option.

I think the options should have a sub-menu or pop-up indicator... a minor issue.
Nice font selector (I assume that's gtk+)... re-aranging colums... all good.
This version shows more promise.
I must admit to being spoiled by emacs, and being able to ask... what keys do what?
I'll have to look at more of this version...

There is no users manual???
Not at this point.  There's a FAQ, and there's this list/group, and the
pan basics are intended to be intuitive enough that no manual is needed,
altho it doesn't always work out quite that way, thus this group/list.
(Some of us read this list as a newsgroup with pan, using the list2news
gateway at gmane.org.  Thus, for some of us, the list /is/ a newsgroup.)

One of the most disturbnig things is that it doesnt really tell you what it's doing. The tasks-list is nice, but if I hit 'n' (or now space, to goto next unread) and there is no next unread in this group, it just sits there, no indicator.
I'll use the feedback to let the authors know "the way". (dont kick me)

I guess manuals are a pain... but I thought I saw a wiki there somewhere, which will hopfully be the way to build much of manuals in the future.

> How to re-filter.. I said dont match read articles and I marked a bunch
> as read, and then even read a few... how do I get those off the list?
They don't disappear from the display until you reload the display, either

Ya, I've been doing that... I was hoping for a 1 key option.
It's ok the say it is though.

> How to mark current thread as read?
To mark current thread as read, select thread (or subthread if you only
want it), hit mark-read.

I don't see how to select the thread (I've been using the mouse middle button.. which is a nice feature) but again, a single key would be nice.

> .. and ideally new articles I get tomorrow in this thread are marked as
> read too.
For that you want scores.  You can score the thread as desired (probably
ignore or at least negative, in this case), and it'll not normally
display.  However, it doesn't get marked read either.  That's an option
scheduled for a later version.  In the meantime, you can either set pan to
display the ignored and negative scored articles and mark-read manually,
or mark-read the entire group when you are done with it (there's an option
for that in preferences).

Auto mark all as read is a little to aggressive for me, but manual is easy...
I'll ahve to check out scoring.

> Can I make space goto the next unread article?
Space is by default read-more, in the same article until it's done, then
either next-article or next-unread, depending on what you have set in

Yes, I got that option now.  Excelent.

Hope that's of help.  If you have more questions, or are using old-pan
(0.14.x or earlier), just ask.

Yes, it helps a lot, thanks.
I guess I thought it was a bit more mature than it is, and I didn't really look for a new version on the web site.

I'm a news reader from way back... probably started in 1986. I loose touch every few years, but then things are getting interesting again. I've never been very interactive on the net.. more of a recluse (lurker)... but I've been trying to contribute a little more, and find more community contacts to help me deal with some of these sticking points I've run into. I might have a bit to offer myself.

Try the next generation of search with Windows Live Search today! http://imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/searchlaunch/?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline