pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Can I not auto-expand threads?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Can I not auto-expand threads?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:45:43 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:38:22
+0000:

> I hope I have the jargon right for what I'm trying to ask.

Yes. =8^)

> Whenever I choose a new thread in a group, 0.119 automatically expands it.
> This is fine most of the time. However, it's sometimes an inconvenience.

I prefer my threads expanded by default, and didn't switch until there was
a preference to make it happen, so I feel your pain (altho on the other
side).

Have you fiddled with the checkbox for it under behavior (bottom of the
Groups section)?  From your description, I don't /think/ it does /quite/
what you are after (after all, I'm always trying to get it to go the
/other/ way, if it gets flipped for some reason, so I'm not quite sure
how the collapsed by default actually works, except that it's not the
way I want it to!), but it's worth fiddling with, just in case.

If I'm not mistaken, however, behavior if you collapse the thread with the
keyboard (plus and minus keys) is a bit different than if you collapse it
with the mouse.  One way it "remembers better".  It was a long time ago
that I was fighting to get it to keep them open, before Charles added the
preference to do so, and my memory is a bit fuzzy, but IIRC at least back
then, the keyboard action kept the memory better than the mouse action,
for some reason.  Thus, try the keyboard for one or two and see if it
remembers your preference.

Even if it doesn't, hitting the "-" key is a lot faster than
hand-to-mouse, aim it at the arrow, overshoot and backtrack, adjust
position until it's right, then click.  Those arrows are a bit small to
hit just right, and the keyboard shortcut works rather better for me,
since I discovered it, of course.  =8^)