pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pre-downloading articles

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pre-downloading articles
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 01:37:07 +0000 (UTC)

Brad Rogers <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri,
04 May 2007 19:20:54 +0100:

> With better knowledge of Linux in general, I've decided to re-install,
> from scratch.  I've invested in an external HD to save /home to, so I
> can re-instate all required prefs files (I *don't* want to have to
> recreate a few dozen email & news filters, killfiles, score files, etc.

I've done that a couple times. =8^)  Last time, it was to upgrade to a 4-
way SATA RAID system, RAID-1/mirror for /boot, partitioned RAID-6/double-
parity for my main system, and RAID-0/striped for stuff like /tmp and the
local kernel and package tree. All using the kernel's md/mdp drivers. =8^)

That was after losing two drives after barely a year each.  Of course,
the last one was heat related (AC died, not a good thing in a Phoenix
summer, and it was almost certainly > 50C, likely > 55C, ambient air
temp, so who /knows/ what the drive temp was), but I decided I /had/ to
get some redundancy in there, so I did.  (Since then, the kernel swsusp
has started working for me, and I've been using suspend-to-disk when I'm
away, so another AC dieing shouldn't kill anything on the computer now,
as it should be shut down.)