pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How do you upgrade from 0.14.2 to the latest?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How do you upgrade from 0.14.2 to the latest?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 05:49:12 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:15:28
+0000:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:09:11 -0400, Darren wrote:
>
>> All I really want is the group information to be moved. How does one do
>> that?
>
> I haven't done it, but I understand you can save from 0.14.x to .newsrc
> files that can be used by the new pan.

That's correct, but there's a bit more to it than that.  Old-pan could
export to .newsrc format when told to, and that's the first step.  New-
pan uses .newsrc by default, but as .newsrc is single-server and new-pan
supports multiple servers, it uses names other than simple .newsrc.

Basically, for every server in old-pan, export the newsrc file.  Then in
new-pan, create the server and close pan, then look at the data files
(under ~/.pan2 by default, set the PAN_HOME environmental variable to
change where it looks for its datafiles if you don't like the default)
and find the appropriate newsrc-N (where N is a number corresponding to
the server).  Then with new-pan closed, COPY (so you have a backup) the
exported newsrc from old-pan over the newsrc-N file, and reopen new-pan.
It should now be using the copied over file.  If it isn't, it's time to
figure out what went wrong.