pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: alternate editor again

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: alternate editor again
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:58:30 +0000 (UTC)

Sebastian Menge <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:03:13
+0000:

> Great, then I'll wait until that hits the Ubuntu archives. (I'm to lazy
> to compile my own day-today software)

LOL.  Running Gentoo here, so it's compiled either way.  I did create my
own pan SVN ebuild, however, integrating it with the regular portage
packaging system.  Of course, compiling isn't such a big deal anymore
with dual-cores and gigs of memory.  (I'm running dual Opteron, soon to
upgrade to dual-cores, 8 gigs memory, /tmp as tmpfs and that's where all
the compiling scratch files go, so they don't even hit the drive until
installation.)

In a few years, I expect compiled from scratch will begin to take off, as
there'll no longer be a major difference in install time, and compile
from scratch has some benefits that'll begin to outweigh the decreasing
time difference.  Honestly, I'm not sure I'd have had the patience to do
it on hardware below the dual Opteron 242s I'm using now, tho I respect
those that do, but change is change.