pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Out of Order messages

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Out of Order messages
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:52:29 +0000 (UTC)

Frank Tabor wrote:

> I use a news server, (Supernews), that creates message numbers out of
> order.  So here lately I've been getting some phantom message counts in
> several groups.  The group shows New Messages in bold, but as soon as I
> select the group, the bold numbers disappear and there are no new
> messages.  I've turned off my filter views to make sure it's not filtered
> messages.
>
> I have checked the groups, and there are only three doing it, with another
> reader from the same server, and there are a considerable number of
> messages that I don't have.  The headers haven't been downloaded.

I've been getting a similar problem... I haven't been looking at the message
numbers, though.  Initially the group pane indicates that a group has new
messages, but upon entering the group I see nothing.  (I have "match only
unread articles" and "match selected articles' threads" on.)  After toggling
the "match only unread articles" button on the toolbar, some of the articles
now show up, albeit not in threads.

I have been getting behavior like this in both Gmane and my ISP's server.
At first, I assumed that the phantom articles were just ignored articles,
which I have set not to display.  After reading Frank's post and playing
around a bit, though, I realize that these are legit articles that Pan isn't
displaying for some reason.

Cheers,
--
Benjamin D. Esham