pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Are gmime and pcre required during runtime?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Are gmime and pcre required during runtime?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:21:26 +0000 (UTC)

Phil <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 20
Jul 2007 09:13:18 -0700:

> Ah, to answer my own question:  I see now that both pcre and gmime have
> compiled statically.  So pan found ligmime-2.0a, libpcre.a etc to
> statically link in.
>
> These libs compile by default statically, or is there something they
> didn't like about my system to make shared libraries?

You don't say so I'm assuming that LiveCD distro was Linux, not one of
the BSDs or some such.  Also, you seem to know some already as you were
able to discover the static linking on your own, so forgive me if this is
a bit basic.

On Linux, at least GNU/Linux (so using the GNU libc and linker, might be
different if a different userspace libc and etc are used), *.a libraries
are static, *.so* libraries are dynamic.  What was compiled in would
depend on what the linker found to compile in.  If it comes across the
static libraries first, it'll compile them in.  If it comes across the
dynamic libraries first, it'll use them.

It's quite possible the LiveCD you were using arranged things so the
static libraries were first in the compiler/linker search order, so you /
wouldn't/ have problems running stuff you'd just compiled and saved,
after a reboot.

FWIW, here on Gentoo/amd64, naturally compiled from sources, such issues
come up from time to time, because dynamic libraries need compiled and
linked with -fPIC on AMD64 (x86_64, so the Intel version as well), while
static libraries don't as they are compiled directly into the apps.  If
the library build is trying to compile once and use the same object files
for both static and dynamic libraries, there's generally a problem, since
one needs -fPIC and the other doesn't.  Sometimes the problem can be
worked around by simply manually adding -fPIC to the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS,
other times not.  Beyond that, I generally file a bug and let the Gentoo
amd64 arch devs handle it.