pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Can't subscribe

From: R. Georgeson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Can't subscribe
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:31:33 +0100

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:42:39 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

> "R. Georgeson" <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 16 Jul
> 2007 23:13:27 +0100:
>
> > I'm sure it's me being useless but I can't subscribe to any groups -
> > nothing happens when I press 'Refresh group list' or indeed when I press
> > 'Subscribe'. This is on Debian Etch (Pan 0.119) on this new machine.

<...>

> As for 0.11.x, that's still GNOME 1 based, WAY WAY back in the dark ages!
> =8^)
>
> However, if it's occurring on both of them, with entirely different code
> bases (even written in different languages, 0.90 was the intro of the C++
> rewrite, before that it was C, and the libraries they are based on are
> entirely different as well, tho there's possibly some little old code
> remaining), there's a **VERY** **STRONG** likelihood it's not pan at all,
> but the server you are subscribed to.  If they are still pulling posts,
> that's working, but from all indications, they aren't providing a group
> list to update any more.
>
> If your provider is like many, they'll only support OE and maybe
> Thunderbird or some such on MSWormOS, and possibly <some news app> on
> OSX.  If it's possible, I'd suggest checking with whatever it is they
> support, just to be sure, but I'm guessing there's something wrong with
> their GROUPS command (I believe it is).  It's also possible their listing
> of commands simply no longer includes the GROUPS (or whatever it is)
> command.

OK, that's got me a bit further - I shouldn't have had
authentication on - and I've managed to get Evolution to download the
list of newsgroups. With Pan the modem flickers briefly and that's it,
though the event log has now stopped complaining about 'Access to your
node denied'. Doesn't tell me anything (except Pan started), I wsh it
would.

BTW zetnet is Linux friendly and generally RFC compliant so there
should be no problems there.

The other thing that I noticed was there seems to be no setting to
download bodies with headers. I'd *really* like to do that, otherwise I
have to stay online to read everything, working offline is preferred.

> If you can't do that or as alternative server or network troubleshooting,
> there's really nothing better than a manual telnet session.

Not entirely sure what I'd be looking for however.

--
Dick Georgeson