pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Can't subscribe

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Can't subscribe
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 09:06:54 +0000 (UTC)

"R. Georgeson" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 21 Jul
2007 23:51:21 +0100:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:55:17 +0000 (UTC) Duncan
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> If you really need it, you may want to stay with 0.14.x for the moment.
>
> Thanks for your help, but I think 0.14.2 is probably the one. Mind you
> that means removing pan from aptitude's control. I notice there are no
> .debs on the website.
>
> At the risk of seeming ungrateful, it does seem perverse to remove the
> function when it was there. And I'm no fan of the eye candy
> 'enhancements', the smileys are ridiculously naff and the M$ style wavy
> underlines -- teletubby stuff.

They weren't removed.  As Travis mentions, the new code is an entirely
new rewrite.  New language, C++ instead of C as the old one was, and
all.  So nothing was removed.  It simply wasn't added back in.

BTW, the graphical smileys and the like are optional.  I have them turned
off here too, because I hate 'em.  However, I sure like the new multiple
server handling code and the better scaling. =8^)

That said, as long as 0.14.2 is doing it for you and new-pan isn't, go
ahead, stay with 0.14.2.  Note that as it's not being updated any more,
GTK and etc will gradually move beyond it, leaving the old pan code stale
and harder and harder to keep working with newer everything else, but
that still gives you quite some time, probably several years anyway.  A
lot can change in several years.  Perhaps new-pan will have what you want
by then, or perhaps some other app will.