pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] chimpanxi.com for real?

From: Rob Kudla
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] chimpanxi.com for real?
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:39:55 -0400

On Saturday 28 July 2007, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> On the features page, there is a reference to an expanded version
> of pan at chimpanxi.com. I thought I'd look. This is a site devoted
> to chimpazees (the primate) with no reference to software of any
> type.
>
> Is this a misprint or just a joke?

I think the joke on the Pan site is a (really old) riff on Ximian.  In
particular, it references the community's fears, when Ximian was
founded, that it was the first step to making Evolution (or possibly
all of GNOME) a proprietary product somehow.  So we have the word
that means monkey, "xi" in the name to make it unique and
trademarkable, and the fake announcement of a proprietary expanded
version of Pan.

Looks like the domain itself is owned by squatters now, with
keyword-based "relevant" advertising links and bait words in the
title to game search engines.

Personally, I would have preferred the name change anyway, just
because it'd be a lot easier to google when I'm troubleshooting!

Rob