pan-users

[Pan-users] Pan 1.20 closed unexpectedly, then won't start since

From: Roger T. Imai
Subject: [Pan-users] Pan 1.20 closed unexpectedly, then won't start since
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:12:54 -0500

Recent Windows refugee on Ubuntu Feisty. Pan 1.2 ran fine for a few weeks, then yesterday unexpectedly closed without any warning in the middle of a batch retrieval, and I haven't been able to re-start Pan from the Applications menu since. Clicking on the launch icon gets no response, no error message.

I've tried:
1. Uninstalling & re-installing from Add/Remove
2. Re-installing over using Synaptic Package Manager

I found out that I could start Pan from the Root Terminal, which started without the newsgroup server or newsgroups list (probably removed when I did the above.) Pan runs normally started from the Root Terminal, but I still can't start it from the Applications menu launch icon. I looked through System, Administration, Users & Groups, Manage Groups but wasn't able to find any setting that appeared to affect user permissions for the Applications menu items.

Oops, upon closing Pan, the following message was in the Root Terminal console. Have no idea what it means, or if it's related to my complaint.

(pan:11844): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_layout_get_iter_location: assertion `GTK_IS_TEXT_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
address@hidden:/home/rtimai#

(The computer name btw is just my motherboard model.)

Would appreciate any suggestions. If possible phrase your instructions for a former intermediate Windows user, rank Linux newbie (2 months.)

Thanks! -- rtimai