pan-users

[Pan-users] Can no longer ./configure pan 0.131

From: Van Reuther
Subject: [Pan-users] Can no longer ./configure pan 0.131
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:45:59 -0400

Hi all,

I've been running pan 0.131 on debian-stable (etch) here, kernel 2.6.17 since the day 0.131 was released.

Early today I did an apt-get upgrade and an apt-get dist-upgrade of debian.

Afterwards I tried to launch and pan retrieves headers but when I select articles to read, pan unceremoniously closes. Relaunching pan shows the downloaded headers gone.

Thinking I need to re-compile pan for the debian changes, I un-tar the 0.131 source to /tmp and try to ./configure it there. The script bombs with:

checking for gawk... gawk
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

What struck me odd is c++... no.
I thought c++ is the cpp package? If so, I have:

~$ dpkg -l | grep cpp
ii cpp         4:4.1.2-3    The GNU C preprocessor (cpp)
ii cpp-3.3     1:3.3.6-15   The GNU C preprocessor
ii cpp-3.4     3.4.6-6      The GNU C preprocessor
ii cpp-4.1     4.1.2-14     The GNU C preprocessor
ii libpcrecpp0 6.7-1        Perl 5 Compatible Regular Expression Library

I skimmed config.log a little bit and some of the other things it says are missing are actually on my file system. I refrain from pasting it here in case I'm chasing the wrong path but will supply if requested.

Would something like this be a pan bug or a configure bug or a bug somewheres else?