pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Very odd behaviour

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Very odd behaviour
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:03:47 +0000 (UTC)

Bruce Bowler <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 08
Sep 2007 08:32:06 -0400:

>> > I've posted a couple of png files to http://www.bigelow.org/~bcb/
>> > prob1.png and prob2.png.
>>
>> OK, the files are there, but not directly reachable from the URL you
>> posted.  That URL has a simple mailto: link, nothing else.
>
> linewrapping gets you every time.  When I typed the first one, it was
> one line, and I figured folks would be smart enough to change the 1 to a
> 2 to look at the second.

Linewrap, ouch!  I've noticed pan's new wrapping code has that and a few
other bugs as well.  At least that one I believe has been filed.  (I've
been having to do the "Watch the wrap" warning, here.  At least my mailer
still does it right, tho I do use pan for these lists/groups, thru
gmane.org.)

Normally I notice such things and fix the wrap myself, but since it broke
at exactly that spot, I didn't notice it. =8^)  Anyway, thanks for
explaining.

>> If you get a useful reply [] please post it.
>
> here's what they had to say...
>
>> Our newsserver crashed at about 4am (MEST) last Wednesday (August 29th)
>> morning when one of its CPUs failed.
>>
>> There has been a lot of damage on the indexing system which might be
>> beyond repair, but we are still working on it and fixing what is
>> possible while the server is in full operation.

More or less what I expected.  Thanks.  At least that does confirm it was
the server, not some /extremely/ weird pan bug.

Musings... I always worry about such weird things, both due to empathy
with the person experiencing the problem and with Charles trying to
figure it out and fix it, and for the very selfish reason that if it's
happening elsewhere, until it's traced, for all I know, it could soon be
happening here as well.

It also has a bit to do with the fact that computers are supposed to be
logical, and if something's going on that as yet has no logical
explanation, all is not right with the world, and that's disturbing.
Once a satisfactory trace has been done, at least explaining where the
problem came from even if not yet fixing it, logic has returned and my
world view makes just that bit more sense once again, and I can rest that
bit easier once again.