pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: messages refuse to stay marked as "read"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: messages refuse to stay marked as "read"
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:55:46 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 15 Sep 2007 07:15:54
+0000:

> For one group there are about 7k messages which no matter how many times
> I mark them as "read", then open that group, then go to another group,
> then select file, quit, they're still marked as unread when pan
> restarts.
>
> Should I clear them (the headers) out from the .pan folder?

It sounds like something may be corrupted... or set read-only.

I have a similar problem here that I've not investigated yet.  A few of
my groups are not updating in my main pan instance.  I tried subscribing
to them in my test instance and they grabbed new overviews fine.  I then
tried transferring them back to my main instance, and it saw them, but
still refused to grab new overviews from the server, and refused to
(permanently) mark the transferred ones read, as well, just as you
indicate is happening to you.  I ended up deleting them and ignoring the
problem for now, even tho that means I'm currently not following those
groups, because when I tried messing with it further, other groups
started having issues, and I didn't have time to do a full investigation.

So there's something strange happening.  I'm not sure what or how to fix
it, but I can confirm it.  Maybe one of these weeks things will quit
being so crazy at work and I'll have a bit more time to investigate, and
bug-file as necessary.  Or maybe you'll get to it first... but anyway,
yes, I can confirm some sort of funniness going on.  It may be
corruption, it may be something weird in pan, but something strange is
happening.