pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: messages refuse to stay marked as "read"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: messages refuse to stay marked as "read"
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:34:33 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 16 Sep 2007
19:16:56 +0000:

> After playing around a bit with pan I discovered a few things which may
> help you find the bug.
>
> When I mark a group as 'read', nothing gets written to disk until I exit
> pan, when the following files are saved: newsrc-*
> posting.xml
> preferences.xml
> tasks.nzb
> group-preferences.xml
> accels.txt
> newsgroups.xov

... And more useful info...

It isn't just exiting.  It should also save at least the group related
ones when switching groups.  So if you don't switch groups, it'll appear
it's only at pan exit.  I lobbied hard for that because I was having
(very beta) xorg/kde system crashes a year or so ago, and didn't like
having an entire session's history disappear on me.  Now (when it works
anyway) only the session history for the last group I was in disappears,
and it's possible to save that by quickly switching to another group and
back in, once in awhile.  (I had wanted auto-save, every X minutes, but
Charles didn't like that for performance reasons, so we settled on saving
when switching groups.)

However, having the list of files and your observations all in one spot
should help. =8^)

In my case, at least part of the problem seems to be that pan can't be
convinced that a group is actually on a specific server, and if that's
the only server it's on... it doesn't get updated.  From changing out
files/pieces of files, I was able to convince it of that, but then had
weird read/unread issues that wouldn't go away (I expected a bit, but
that they'd go away after update, and they didn't).

Thanks!  (Now headed in to work, so can't do any more ATM.)