pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Help

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Help
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:17:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:42:47 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> "Bill Wright" <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 05 Nov
> 2007 08:22:37 -0500:
>
>> ...How do I get to and how do I find .pan2 file so that I can rename
>> it?

<much good advice snipped for brevity>

> BTW, rm, cp, mv, and similar commands, all have a -i (interactive)
> switch as well.  This will prompt every time the command will overwrite
> or delete an existing file.  Some distributions alias particularly rm to
> rm - i for safety, so you get interactive mode by default...

I also never rely on the installer to set up my shell environment, so I
make a point of including these lines in my .bashrc file:

alias l='ls -laF'
alias ll='ls -laF|less'
alias mv='mv -i'
alias rm='rm -i'
alias cp='cp -i'

The first two lines are just for my typing convenience and I use them
constantly, but the others are life-savers and I'd recommend them for
anyone.  Just type 'alias' at a command prompt to see what you already
have.