pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Newsgroup "descriptions"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Newsgroup "descriptions"
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:48:13 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:57:30
+0000:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:20:15 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> I just noticed (as a result of a conversation with another NNTP user
>> about this) that 0.132 doesn't seem to display the description fields
>> returned by the news server when using the "list newsgroups" command.
>
> Well, pan fetches the descriptions from the news servers and stores them
> in ~/.pan2/newsgroups.dsc -- and then ignores that file completely.
>
> I can only surmise that Charles intend[s,ed] to do something with that
> file sometime in the future, but only Charles knows for certain :o/

Yes, he must.  "pan2" being a full rewrite in a different language (C++
while old-pan was C), he had to have intentionally coded that bit of
fetching and saving in there.  He just hasn't coded a GUI to display it,
it would seem.  I've no clue how he intends it to be displayed or when he
intends to code it.  None.  At.  All.

Well, at least now that you've pointed out that the file's there, people
can open it with a text editor if they want.  I supposed that's better
than nothing, but it's not GUI user friendly by any means.