pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan keeps "forgetting" server

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan keeps "forgetting" server
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:39:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:48:12 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> Four times now, I've opened Pan and had it ask me for a server because
> it's deleted the server info from the config file.  The last time, I
> changed the permissions on the file to Read Only, hoping this would put
> a stop to it, but no.  It simply changed the permissions back to
> read/write and deleted the info again.
>
> This is a Major Inconvenience to me.  Every time I have to get the list
> of groups again, subscribe to the two I want again, and mark read the
> hundreds of old posts.  AGAIN.  I'd really like to put a permanent stop
> to this.  Has anybody else run across this stupid behavior?

There is something wrong with your setup, and the usual is a corrupted
config file somewhere in ~/.pan2 (BTW, which version of pan?).

I would try renaming ~/.pan2 to move it out of the way and then let
pan start fresh with a new config directory.  If you have lots of
valuable settings in your present .pan2 directory you can try copying
the old files one at a time to your new .pan2 directory until you hit
the corrupt one.  Then maybe you can deduce what's corrupted and let
us know.