pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan keeps "forgetting" server

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan keeps "forgetting" server
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:18:47 -0700

On 07/23/2008 Duncan wrote:
Reinforcing the above, definitely, what version of pan are you using? Modern (0.132 being the latest, 0.133 should be out soon, I hope) pan keeps the server information in a separate file, servers.xml, in the (by default) ~/.pan2 dir.

I am, of course, using .132, Waxed in Black. Yes, the info is in ~/.pan2/server.xml, and every time the info vanishes, that file gets overwritten. I know, because I close Pan and check. (I now have a backup copy; next time it happens, I just copy it over the bad one and be done with it.) I've not "done a proper fsck," because I only installed Fedora 9 about 2 months ago, and except for some problems caused by an intereaction between my nVidia drivers and xscreensaver have had no problems or crashes. Frankly, except for this, I see no evidence of file corruption, and after over 30 years using computers, I know what it looks like.

I might add, btw, that nuking and starting over would be a major PITA, considering that, as I've mentioned earlier, there are at least 1,000 old posts on the server in the group I frequent, and Pan is not exactly good about sorting by date!