pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: shortkey configuration

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: shortkey configuration
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:37:52 +0000 (UTC)

Christian Buhtz <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:34:51
+0000:

> Am Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:46:36 +0000 schrieb Duncan:
>> One is interactively, by hovering your mouse over a particular menu
>> action and hitting the combo you want to use (or delete to delete an
>> existing combo).  This has several disadvantages including that the
>> gtkrc config file must be setup to allow menu hotkey editing
>
> I think the feauter is deactived on my system. Is there a gui for
> global-gtk-config stuff?
>
> Locate doesn't found a gtkrc for pan.
>
> Why can not pan handle this by itself. Globalize this doesn't work as
> you can see.

It's not a gtkrc for pan, but for gtk+, the widget-set pan is designed
and built against.

See if your system is exporting the GTK2_RC_FILES variable and where it
points.  Here, using KDE-3, set to use the same color-scheme for GTK, I
can see that by opening a konsole (terminal) window and typing
"export|grep GTK" at the bash prompt.  However, as it's set by KDE, it's
not exported using some launch methods, so I set it manually in my pan
starter scripts so it's consistent no matter how I choose to start pan.

If you're using GNOME and presumably if you're using XFCE, you probably
have a gtkrc2 file somewhere, with the related gtk config for those.  If
you're using KDE, as I mentioned, it'll set one up as well, provided you
have the box in the colors control panel applet set to apply colors to
non-KDE apps.  Otherwise, you may or may not have one.  Probably the
easiest way to get one in that case would be to install an appropriate
GTK2 theme.

However, even then, as I mentioned, it's not the default to let you set
them yourself, and I've long forgotten the setting to allow it.

If you're having trouble, it's probably easiest to simply do it by hand,
editing the accels.txt dump in ~/.pan2 (by default) or using the pre-
sorted version I posted.  That should work regardless of the gtkrc
setting or lack thereof.