pan-users

[Pan-users] basic newsgroup questions

From: Christian Buhtz
Subject: [Pan-users] basic newsgroup questions
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:05:36 +0000 (UTC)

Ok, now I can see this group with M. I tried to create my first post with
M to this group.

1. M try to recieve all headers (1993) of this group. Isn't there a way
to setup M that it only recieve the newest headers?

2. I try to set the newsgroup-field in the folder-properties to
"gmane.mail.mahogany.*" and "gmane.mail.mahogany". But I am not able to
browser in the sub-folders. M says the folder has no sub-folders. How can
I recieve a complete list of all avaialbe newsgroups to search in them
and to subscribe them?

3. I composed a new message. The To-field is not set. I had to set the
field type (newsgroup) and the field value (this newsgroup) manualy.
Isn't there a functionality like "post to this group"?

4. While composing the message I disabled the second To-header set to
"SentMail". I didn't know what it is and I only needed to post to the
newsgroup specified by the first header. This is the normal user
thinking! ;)
I didn't know that "SentMail" is something like a was-send-folder. Things
like this should be done more ergonomicly. ;)

5. While sending the posting an error occured. The message couldn't be
send with the local MTA and the sendmail-command couldn't be executed. Ok
I installed sendmail and tried again. No sendmail isn't correct
configured. Of course I don't want to do this! What has sendmail to do
with all this things? And shouldn't M handle this byitself or configure
sendmail by itself. For me it doesn't matter how the postings comes to
the newsgroup but M should know it itself!
A user of M shouldn't be botherd with low-level things like that.

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't the newsserver itself used to
send postings, too? Why do I need sendmail (is an SMTP-server I think?)
for that?

--
publictimestamp.org/ptb/PTB-3832 sha160 2008-07-27 12:00:03
6612F8B2C9E0688DCD56C31C0BDB7990A3D44D2F