pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Re;re:HeyPanfins, check my headers

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Re;re:HeyPanfins, check my headers
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:37:16 +0000 (UTC)

Kurt Schilling <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 31 Jul
2008 14:10:54 -0400:

> As I type this, the other machine is going through the throes of Make.

Umm... perfect opportunity to boast a bit. =8^)

That's where a faster system is nice! =8^)  Dual dual-core Opteron 290s
(older tech now, but top of the line 2.8 GHz), compiling into tmpfs for
scratch-space so all those temp files never leave memory (all 8 gigs
worth of it), with the sources on a 4-way RAID-0 and the system on the
same 4-spindles RAID-6.

With ccache shortcutting the compilation of stuff that's unchanged,
compiling pan is a while-you-wait job of a couple minutes, not that I've
actually timed it. =8^)

I can even recompile my entire system, 674 packages, in a day or so, and
that's not fully parallel optimized compiling yet. (There's still a bug
in portage that kicks off the parallel merging after the first hundred
packages or so, out of 674, so 500+ are done a single package at a time,
tho where the single package can parallelize, it still does that.)