pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re;re:HeyPanfins, check my headers

From: Kurt Schilling
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Re;re:HeyPanfins, check my headers
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:07:07 -0400

Duncan wrote:
Kurt Schilling <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 31 Jul
2008 14:10:54 -0400:

As I type this, the other machine is going through the throes of Make.

Umm... perfect opportunity to boast a bit. =8^)

That's where a faster system is nice! =8^) Dual dual-core Opteron 290s (older tech now, but top of the line 2.8 GHz), compiling into tmpfs for scratch-space so all those temp files never leave memory (all 8 gigs worth of it), with the sources on a 4-way RAID-0 and the system on the same 4-spindles RAID-6.

With ccache shortcutting the compilation of stuff that's unchanged, compiling pan is a while-you-wait job of a couple minutes, not that I've actually timed it. =8^)

I can even recompile my entire system, 674 packages, in a day or so, and that's not fully parallel optimized compiling yet. (There's still a bug in portage that kicks off the parallel merging after the first hundred packages or so, out of 674, so 500+ are done a single package at a time, tho where the single package can parallelize, it still does that.)

That's alright my friend. I'd be compelled to boast abit too. But, I've managed to muddle my way through the configuration, make and checkinstall. So I now have a newly built package of Pan installed on my venerable workstation that's no where as fast or well equipped. If I had to try recompiling my entire system, mebbe I'd be through by the first snowfall of the winter. <G>

All the best,

Kurt