pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Connections [Is it hiding a security hole?]

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Connections [Is it hiding a security hole?]
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 02:41:33 +0000 (UTC)

"Timothy J. Hamilton" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat,
16 Aug 2008 18:33:32 -0400:

> I tried editing servers.xml as root. No help. I changed permissions and
> ownership. Setting owner as  forbidden to write & setting ownership of
> the file to root.
>
> On startup both times, Pan acted as if it were a new install.  Entries
> in the edited servers.xml were removed.
>
> It would seem that somewhere Pan is not respecting *nix file ownership
> settings and permissions at least when it comes to servers.xml.

You've already two useful explanations of what's  happening there and why
it's not the security hole you thought.  That it's the directory
permissions in this case makes sense, once you know it, but it's still
easy to forget, and I'm sure it has temporarily stymied even some old *ix
hands at times, so don't be too hard on yourself.

But it's unclear whether you've yet resolved the original problem,
servers.xml being rewritten.  I'm guessing what you failed to realize is
that pan only loads the file at pan start, and rewrites the file when
it's shutdown.  Naturally, therefore, if you edited the file (effectively
behind pan's back) while pan was open, all your changes will be
overwritten when it's closed since pan knew nothing of them.

What you must do, therefore, is remember to close pan before directly
editing any of its files.  That way, when you restart it, it'll load the
new data, and resave it when it's shutdown.  Always edit the files with
pan shutdown and you'll find things work MUCH better! =8^)

(If you're reading the instructions for editing the pan files in pan, as
I would since I follow this list as a newsgroup on gmane.org, that means
either remembering them, or saving the post as-a-file elsewhere or
perhaps forwarding it to your mail, and opening it in either your mail
client or a text editor so you can follow the instructions with pan
closed.)