pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 02:51:18 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 16 Aug
2008 16:16:07 +0100:

>> I know of no news client that will do that, because the cache really is
>> temporary and eventually must be purged of old articles to make room
>> for new ones.
>
> But Duncan has said they were purged for a different reason:
>
> "Old-pan ... keeps what's on your computer in sync with what's on the
> server.  If the server expires the messages, next time you download
> messages for that group, old-pan will delete anything that's not still
> on the server."

Well, I was assuming you've set the cache large enough that nothing was
expiring due to the size of the cache.  By default, it's only 10 megs,
which if you do any binaries at all, means it turns over pretty rapidly,
so if you've got months of posts, you /must/ have increased the cache
size.  If you do no binaries at all, only text, then 10 megs will last
some days/weeks, but it's unlikely to last months unless you do very
little news at all.  Since you're talking about losing posts that are
months old, I therefore assumed that you'd already figured the cache
thing out and had adjusted it accordingly, and that it therefore could
not be the problem.

Also, a cache expire would expire the posts themselves (aka the bodies),
but leave the overviews (aka headers) available, as they're not
considered part of the cache.  Since you indicated the headers/overviews
are disappearing as well, it's the server sync.