pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Adjustmentys to new Pan (0.132)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Adjustmentys to new Pan (0.132)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:55:38 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 26 Aug
2008 16:03:43 +0100:

> Have now moved all ng's over to new Pan, but there are one of two things
> that niggle:
>
> (1) When looking through the Header Pane, each time it comes to the
> start of a thread, it opens the thread, which makes it messy to delete
> the whole thread.
>    Is there any way to stop it opening each thread as it gets to it?
> (Or a fast key to close the thread)

As a matter of fact, maybe and yes, in that order. =:^)

While I like my threads open by default and thus have the option toggled
to make them so, take a look on the behavior tab of the preferences
dialog, under groups, at the expand all threads when entering group
option.  You'll want it toggled off, but as I don't, I'm not sure, the
behavior you are describing might be with it already off.

In any case, there's a hotkey.  Now I've changed some of my hotkeys here
so this /might/ not be right, but I don't believe I changed these, so I
think it is:  Use the +/- keys (either keypad or main keyboard keys) to
toggle the thread open/closed.

> (2) When looking at a posting, the 'Subject/From/Date' panel at the top
> is in a minute font.  Is there way of changing the font size in that
> panel?

Again, yes.  However these aren't under pan's control but I believe GTK.
If you have gnome, changing them should be no problem as it should be a
gnome config option.  If not, as here (I use KDE), things get a bit more
difficult.  You /might/ be able to change them on KDE (3.5) by setting
the fonts, and then under the colors, checking the apply colors to non-
KDE applications checkbox.  I'm honestly not sure if that applies font
choices or only colors.

One thing you DO want to be sure of is that your DPI is set, either
correctly, or at least consistently, in X.  If you don't, you'll always
have problems with it being different in KDE vs GTK/GNOME vs generic X
apps, and you'll have it set right for one version, only to have a
different one come along and change the way it figures the default.  By
setting your own, you make it consistent.  The setting is

DisplaySize width-mm height-mm

in the Monitor section of xorg.conf.  From that and the resolution, X
figures the DPI.

Another alternative to setting DisplaySize, if you have a randr 1.2
compliant xorg and driver, is to use xrandr's --dpi or --fbmm options.
This would of course be dynamically set and you'd have to set it every
time you start X (or change monitors), tho you could put it in your
startup scripts.

KDE (3.5) has an enforce DPI option as well, in its font settings dialog,
but I'm not sure how it applies that and whether it's only to KDE apps or
to anything running in X.

But back to the problem, assuming you have DPI set correctly...

Given I don't run GNOME, there's a few things I've occasionally had to
edit the gtkrc config files themselves to change.  Unfortunately, I've
not found real good documentation tho I've usually been able to google up
something, and coupled with some hit and miss testing, I usually manage
to eventually get what I want, or at least close enough to it to be
satisfactory.  But it's certainly nothing I know enough about to be
comfortable expounding further.  You may well have to try it yourself on
this one, if nobody else has any further help either.

Anyway, like I said, changing that font can be done, but it's not a pan
setting but a GTK system setting, so in general, that's where you need to
look.