pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Old Pan: Cannot see newsgroup 'read' items before March 11
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:39:33 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 21 Aug 2008
01:22:59 +0000:

> The rewrite doesn't have the print function, altho if you check the
> accels.txt file, there's already an entry reserved for it.

I meant to add and forgot...

GTK now has printing support, and from Charles' comments on bugs and etc,
he intends to eventually use that support in pan.  However, that's as of
a year or two ago, at which point the GTK2 printing support was still new
enough he didn't want to enable it just yet.  Apparently there's either
not an easy way or he was unaware of it, to make printing support a
compile-time option, thus maintaining backward compatibility for pre-
printing GTK2.  Presently, pan's backward compatibility extends all the
way back to something like GTK+ 2.4 or 2.6 (at least, maybe earlier), and
he wasn't yet ready to advance that barrier all the way to 2.10 or
whenever it was that printing support was added.

So at some point, but at least as of a year or so ago when I last read
anything from Charles on it, he didn't believe that point had yet come.