pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: libstc++.so.6 missing

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: libstc++.so.6 missing
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:09:05 +0200

On Wed 27 Aug 2008 at 10:35:57 +0000, Greg Lee wrote:
> I've noticed several times that running ldconfig revises soft links to
> point to the wrong dynamic libraries.  This is about the only time I've
> needed to remove old versions of libraries.  I don't know what is going
> on there.

I wonder why Linux distributions generally don't use the capability of
ELF files to record the library search path directly into the
executables.  This tends to save a lot of trouble (if done right), since
with global search paths like LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ld.so.conf, etc, you
always run the risk of picking up some other version of a library than
you intended.  This happened to me several times already (when I thought
I'd do a LD_LIBRARY_PATH-hack anyway, or on other systems), and can have
very confusing effects.

Unfortunately, most open source projects are so focussed on Linux that
strong measures need to be taken to insert the necessary -Wl,-R options
into the linker command line.

(In fact, a per-executable search path still isn't always good enough,
since the same can happen within the recorded search path. But the risk
is smaller.)

> Greg
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.