pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: libstc++.so.6 missing

From: Beso
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: libstc++.so.6 missing
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:04:39 +0200

2008/8/27 Duncan <address@hidden>

> Greg Lee <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:31:45
> +0000:
>
> > You mean you have a pre-compiled version of Pan
>
> Rather unlikely for someone running Gentoo.  More likely, he compiled it
> himself (as Gentooers generally do), but then upgraded something, the
> environment moved out from under the pan package he'd built, and he
> hasn't figured out what moved where and how to correct it yet.
>
> But that does bring up another way to fix it.  Simply recompile it, and
> it should be able to find what it built against.  If it can't (which from
> what he said seems to be the case), it's not a pan problem directly, but
> one of pan's dependencies, perhaps one of the gtk+ libs, or pcre, or...
> When he loads pan, it tries to load the lib, which tries to load a
> libstdc++ it can't find, because it's the lib that had stuff move out
> from under it, not pan.  Of course, rebuilding that lib should solve the
> problem, but finding the lib to rebuild is the difficult bit.

yesterday evening i was too tired to start cleaning the system. now
i've found out what the problem was:
i have 2 versions of gcc installed, 4.2.4 and 4.3.1-r something.
usually i don't have 2 gcc versions since it's not a very good idea,
but this time i use 2 of them since some packages fail with gcc 4.3.1.
so when a package fails for unknown reasons, before i submit a bug
report i check out if it builds with gcc 4.2.4. I use the amd64 system
with multilib enabled, since i use some firefox-bin, openoffice-bin,
mplayer-bin and mplayerplug-in compiled with ABI=x86.
i've seen something strange, like the old gcc version still being
there after removing them, but i've never given this too much
importance since everything was ok.
i've never had eselect-gcc installed on this system, but always used
gcc-config, never removed stuff manually but with portage or paludis
and never cleaned cruft files on the system. now what i've discovered
thanks to pan is that the libstdc++.so.6 was pointing to the 4.2.4
version instead of the 4.3.1 while the inuse compiler was the 4.3.1. i
don't know when this problem occured (i've last switched to 4.3.1
about one month ago and since then i've compiled and recompiled a lot
of packages). i don't know how this mispointing could have impacted on
the system, but it might have been a big bad stuff. this week end i
really need to lauch the fincruft script, move out of the way all the
unneeded files and then revdep. after that i have to make sure that
the compiler is set to the 4.3.1 and recompile world to be sure that
everything is ok and then rerun the cruft script. at that point
everything should be ok (or at least i hope so)....
for the moment i've temporarly set the symlink to the gcc 4.3.1 and
pan is working well. well, i hope that next week i don't need to have
too much support....

--
dott. ing. beso