pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames (Windows)

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames (Windows)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:13:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 02:17:19 +0400, Roman wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've just decided to try Pan, but it looks like I won't be able to enjoy
> it. The symptoms are as follows: I start Pan, it says "You've launched
> Pan for the first time, blah blah, select a news server.". So I select a
> news server, it loads the group list, but Pan can't read any messages!
>
> And when I close it and reopen it starts the "select a news server"
> routine again. No settings are remembered.
>
> I'm blaming it on the username as a) it's indeed non-Latin
> (Àäìèíèñòðàòîð) and b) when launched as a user with a Latin name
> (postgres) it works fine. And c) I have a history of programs failing
> because of that 8=].
>
> Fix please? 8=]
>
> Roman

I know almost nothing about i19n, so let me be the first to offer an
opinion! ;o)

Your headers hint that you may be from Rumania, and my pan renders
the username  Àäìèíèñòðàòîð as glyphs that I think of as mostly
European.  I have no idea if that username looks the same to you
as it looks to me, and that's one of the problems with i19n :o(

Anyway, on to a more practical question:  do you know of any news
server that *will* accept that username?  If yes, do you know of
a news client that will authenticate properly with that server?

Any education you can give us may improve pan in the long run,
but probably not tomorrow ;o)