pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:11:59 -0700

Roman wrote:
Correct. The Cyrillic spelling for "Administrator", according to the few
bits of Russian I had in school.

Correct. I'll post in UTF-8 this time, to improve the chance of recognition:
áÄÍÉÎÉÓÔÒÁÔÏÒ. (the last letter should look like Latin p, if it's not, it's
another bug 8=])

And this has nothing to do with news server auth, this is the Windows
username. As far as my understanding goes, the problem is as follows. GTK+
has all strings in UTF-8, right? And the settings are to be saved at
C:\Documents and Settings\áÄÍÉÎÉÓÔÒÁÔÏÒ\.pan2\something. If I'm correct, it
passes the name to fopen or brethren without converting to local encoding
(which is cp1251), and hilarity ensues. In addition, when I try to read an
article, it actually says "Can't open file C:\Documents and
Settings\áÄÍÉÎÉÓÔÒÁÔÏÒ\.pan2\article-cache\blahblah".

I didn't actually dig the source, just an educated guess.

Just to demonstrate how confusing this problem can be, I've attached
three screen captures (I hope they make it through the different servers)
to show how that name appears to me:  your original post, your second post,
and your second post as quoted by George's mail client.

Does pan's error message render the name correctly?  Does it save its own
settings properly in that directory?

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image