pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: [Pan 0.133-Windows] Drops server

From: Kurt Schilling
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: [Pan 0.133-Windows] Drops server
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:26:03 -0400

Kurt Schilling wrote:
> Duncan wrote:
>> Kurt Schilling <address@hidden>
>> posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 26 Sep
>> 2008 07:44:05 -0400:
>>
>>> I use 0.133 on both a Windows box and my Linux box. I currently
>>> subscribe to three server feeds. Two are private servers, the third is
>>> Motzarella. I have noted that as I switch between subscribed newsgroups
>>> on the different servers that the connexion to Motz gets dropped. The
>>> list of subscribe groups is alphbetical, so by the time I get to
>>> news.software.readers Pan indicates that No Tasks remain and no new
>>> headers are downloaded. I can exit the program and re-establish a
>>> connexion to Motz, and Pan will then fetch new headers. Any
>>> sugggestions?
[...]
>> Other than that I don't know what to say, except to note that you can
>> check what the OS thinks exist in terms of connections using the netstat
>> command.  It should work on both MS and Linux, tho parameters may vary.
>> If the OS still sees a normal connection, that could be a problem.  If it
>> sees one that's still stuck in time-wait, that's a different problem (the
>> connection got half-closed but the last bit of the close handshake
>> sequence disappeared somewhere).
>
> I'll see what netstat tells me about keeping connexions alive a bit later.

No real joy with netstat when I check connexions.

>>> One other quick question: is there a way of stripping out the added
>>> carriage returns above the sig delimiter? They add extra space to a post
>>> or follow up that have to be manually deleted.
>> I don't find it too bad here, probably because it's just habit to delete
>> the extras, now, but you're right, there's a few extra CRs in there and
>> it is (mildly) annoying.  I'm not sure why there's so many, except that I
>> think Charles may be putting them there to help to encourage proper quote/
>> reply form, instead of top posting.  If the cursor and an obvious blank
>> is at the bottom...

[...]
>> The other possibility is that it's to do with the interplay between the
>> profile and the sig handling.  If you have several posting profiles (with
>> different sigs) and try switching them, you should notice that if you've
>> deleted the extra lines, they come back when you switch profiles.
>
> Hmm, I'll see what I have in the way of sig.txt files and check that
> aspect out too.

I did a limited run of test post while changing the parameters of the
sig option. About the only thing I managed was to increase by one
carriage return the amount of extra space <g>.

I think that I'll just let things lie as they were for now.

>> You could play around with the various sig type options.  It has been
>> awhile since I tried that and I only tried the two text options (FWIW I
>> use text file, now), but that might change the number of blank lines
>> inserted.

The text file option did change the number of lines: added one in fact.

[...]
With warm regards,

Kurt Schilling/Steinhauser