pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Finding unread posts

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Finding unread posts
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 22:34:22 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 06 Oct 2008
13:09:27 +0000:

>       Take a look at a thread called "Why is firefox such a beast?" on
> gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general -- it's a good example of something
> that happens on any very long thread. Lots of the posts get their titles
> indented so far that they disappear completely.
>
>       So you can't see whether they're bolded, or underlined, or
> neither. To find new ones, you have to spot the difference between the
> opened envelope icon and the closed one -- not exactly easy for ancient
> eyeballs peering through trifocals.
>
>       Might some future release of Pan perhaps introduce a color change
> in the icon?

An icon color change may be useful, yes.  You might wish to file a bug
suggesting it.

Meanwhile, here, I use the "Match only unread articles" toggle under
View, Header pane.  Normally, I keep it toggled to only show me unread
(make sure the show only matching articles option, in the same place, is
set as well), so everything I see is unread and I don't have to care
about the other indicators (icon, bold).  I also have the "Expand all
threads when entering group" option (Edit, Edit Preferences, Behavior,
Groups) toggled on, so the only time I see collapsed threads is if I've
collapsed them.

If I find I need to go back and read a message originally read in a
previous session, I toggle the view only unread option to off, so it's
showing me read articles as well.  Actually, while pan doesn't have a
default keyboard accelerator mapped to do that, pan does allow keyboard
accelerator customization, and I've mapped the "R" key to toggle the
option, so all I have to do is hit "R" and it toggles for me.