pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Can post, but cannot reply (Duncan)

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Can post, but cannot reply (Duncan)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:38:37 -0700

On 10/29/2008 Karl Lindholm wrote:

AFAIK, his moderating duties are limited to removing/editing posts not in compliance with the list rules and of course approving posts that come from newsreaders, *including his own*. He *can* post replies, but the server is badly setup and *any* post/reply that comes from a reader must be approved, not the case with an e-mail or web post/reply. So I am not sure what you mean by "effectively moderated".

This is his problem, not his newsreader's and not the server's. A post to a moderated group only goes to a moderator if it doesn't have a header attached saying it's been approved. All he needs to do as a moderator is set Pan to add that header to all posts he sends to that group.

I know this because I'm a long-time member of a self-moderated newsgroup. (No, I'm not going to name it. We self-moderate to keep the riff-raff out of the monestary.) All regular members add the header to their posts. All posts without that header get sent to our moderator, which is just an autobot that rejects everything.

--
Joe Zeff
If you can't play with words, what good are they?