pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions

From: Paul Crawford
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:49:10 +0000

Dear Duncan,
The above claim, that under Linux, files are created with default permission 644, is simply not accurate. It's too general (perhaps certain distributions, not "Linux") and lacks a description of the vital role umask plays in determining default file permissions.

I have just tried sending a .exe file to myself and with Thunderbird it is saved with a 644 mask, which is what I expected.

I can also confirm that saving the putty.exe Windows Telnet/SSH client using Opera from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html also results in the expected 644 permission settings.

All on the same Ubuntu 8.10 box, so it looks very much like Pan is at fault here (or perhaps is just not being more proactive in stopping a stupidly "helpful" system?).

Regards,
Paul