pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Is this normal behavior in PAN?

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Is this normal behavior in PAN?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 06:04:12 -0500

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
> David Shochat <address@hidden>
> posted address@hidden,
> excerpted below, on  Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:12:02 -0500:
>
>>> As I said, the folks reporting [the threading stall]
>>> were all on Ubuntu, at the time 8.04
>>> but I have no idea whether it was fixed for 8.10 or not, and someone
>>> discovered that it ONLY happened when running GNOME, NOT when running
>>> KDE or XFCE on the same installation.  That DEFINITELY points to some
>>> sort of shared library issue but it was never pinned down.
>>
>> I am am one of those with this problem and it does occur in 8.10. I'm on
>> XFCE now and will not try going back to GNOME until the next version of
>> Ubuntu comes along.
>
> Ouch... tho honestly... since we found it was with GNOME only, it could
> be on other distributions, possibly including the Gentoo I'm using, since
> I don't do GNOME, only KDE.
>
> Any chance you could do an ldd pan > pan.ldd.xfce.lst, then start GNOME
> long enough to do an ldd pan > pan.ldd.gnome.lst from it?  Then post the
> two files, or at least a diff between them?

I tried last night to post my results through the gmane NG, but for
some reason, that did not work. So I'll repeat myself here. The short
answer is that there is no difference in the ldd output whether I do
it while running XFCE or GNOME. Every line of ldd output ends with a
32-bit hex value in parentheses and that part does differ. However it
also differs if I simply run the ldd command on pan in the same
environment twice in succession. I used awk to remove the final hex
bit and the resulting filtered output is the same in all cases. I'd be
glad to post the output anyway, if you want to see it.
-- David