pan-users

[Pan-users] How would Pan handle "nonce" subscritption?

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] How would Pan handle "nonce" subscritption?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:30:12 +0000 (UTC)

        There are some topics, apps, and lists about them, which I
monitor for a while every year or two, and then disregard between whiles.

        The best example is Wine: it's been getting closer and closer for
the last ten years to what I really want, handling my legacy GPS/topo map
software.

        It can now install, launch, and run at least the two best of my
four suites of such software; but even with those, it still can't manage
to get the software to talk to the GPS.

        This much is nice, as far as it goes: I can look up some obscure
street at the other end of town, or some town in a state halfway across
the country, without getting up and finding maps & gazetteers.

        But my main purpose with that software, and what I have the GPSs
for, is to map game trails, den trees, stands, and private routes to the
stands. Until I can do that (preferably with Wine; but I'm starting to
look at virtualizers), I have to keep either a M$ machine, or a dual-boot
one -- and I yield to no man in my detestation of all things that come
out of Redmond, WA.

        So I study, sticking to the example, the Wine list intensely for
a few weeks, then ignore it for a year or two. Wine's developers seem to
be interested mainly in office apps and games; any upgrades that benefit
me, or the few others like me, are lagniappe.

        SO (to get back to the point about Pan), I want to know whether
I'm better off leaving my copy of Pan subscribed via Gmane to such lists
(and several similar ones to see if any of the linux-native apps have yet
come to a point where they'd serve my purposes).

        Is that best? Or would I do better to unsub them and re-sub at
long intervals?

        One benefit of the way I'm doing it is that I can still find and
display my own old threads, clear back to 2004 or earlier. Otoh, the
cruft rolls in and rolls in, between times when I sift it out.

        Has anybody tried it both ways, long enough to see a definite
advantage one way?? Especially since it has gotten so much more onerous
to save stuff inside Pan?