pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How would Pan handle "nonce" subscritption?

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How would Pan handle "nonce" subscritption?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:31:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:14:27 +0000, Duncan wrote:
        [snipperoo]
> Note that unlike some news clients, pan does NOT clear headers in groups
> you unsubscribe, just because you've unsubscribed.  (Of course, if you
> have it set to expire messages, it'll do that as they come due.)   Thus,
> as long as you can find the group again, there's no real reason to keep
> it subscribed in the mean time.  In fact, with the "get N days"
> functionality, when you do get interested again, you can quickly get the
> last N days worth of headers and catch up, if you wish (and as
> netiquette dictates), before starting any new threads.

        *That*, I'm sure, is one of the things I was trying to ask, and
couldn't quite formulate. Many thanks!

> Now what I'd do (and do do, in fact, but for other purposes,
> binary/text/ test, here) is use the PAN_HOME var functionality to keep
> different pan instances, one for the regularly followed groups, another
> for the seldom updated groups.  That way one doesn't have to worry about
> finding the groups and resubscribing again, but they aren't there taking
> up visual space when they aren't being followed.
        [snipperee]
        Hmmm ... "the PAN_HOME var functionality" rings no bells. Where
do I find out about it?? Not having to find (nor remember!) the groups is
very appealing. There's at least one, for example, for a linux-native app
that works only, by design, in the case of a GPS in a moving automobile
-- because that's what interests those developers. I wasted a lot of time
on that app before I discovered that ....

> As for saving stuff in pan, as long as you have the expiration disabled,
> pan saves /headers/overviews/ by default.  However, the messages
> themselves do get deleted with the cache, unless of course you've set
> the cache to something huge, multi-gigabyte for text say, and don't do
> binaries so don't use it up that way.  But at least with gmane you can
> always download the messages again anyway, as long as you keep track of
> what headers you want to save, and, probably, delete the others.

        Hmmm ... again. I'll have to recheck which servers are currently
set for what expirations, and maybe unset them. I almost never do any
kind of binaries in Pan nor email, preferring to use the Web for that --
when I do them at all. (My interest, as an erstwhile historian of
literature and of tongues, is about as heavily text-oriented as it can
well get.)