pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Odd error messages

From: Pete Goudreau
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Odd error messages
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 11:23:36 -0500

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

Wanted to let all know the problem appears to be resolved.

Evolution handles news and provides full SSL authentication for nntp and
I've had no trouble so far using it for mail on the same server and
there have been plenty of mail issues that generated a lot of error
messages, none of which appeared like the ones here.

Interestingly once Evolution was set up for nntp to the same server and
group(s) some error messages popped up as the server appeared and
disappeared (it does that...) and each one appeared very much like the
ones described here.  Graphically the same as well.

However this time a second message produced a line with a sentence
fragment ending with a period and then a capitalized start to a new
sentence but only a short fragment of one.  Now it appears clear the OS
in conjunction with this particular server's nntp behavior are
responsible for extracting text fragments of posts cached or buffered
somewhere in transit but never seen, as was proposed.

Couldn't find anything in the system using some of the tools available
and nothing unusual going on with any other app.  I did load up
Thunderbird again and get it set up properly but no error messages ever
appeared so I was unable to get a third look into the problem.  I don't
use that app anyway but I suspect I'd see similar messages if I were to
use it long enough to get a problem somehow.

Anyway, thanks to all for their time and effort, and fast (!) response -
helped keep the sanity level in check over here. ;)

Thanks again,
Pete