pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Make error - PAN stable

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Make error - PAN stable
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:17:52 +0000 (UTC)

arnuld uttre <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:36:39 +0530:

> I am trying to install latest stable version of PAN 0.14.2 . "configure"
> runs fine and I get this error while make:

While 0.14.2 is indeed pan stable, it's effectively abandoned code,
/years/ outdated now.  As such, it'll likely need some serious patching
in ordered to compile against anything even close to modern gtk/glib/
glibc, or using modern gcc.

Despite its unstable moniker, the latest version of the c++ rewrite
(denoted by versions starting with 0.90, as opposed to the older 0.14 and
earlier), version 0.133, should work far better, especially when compiled
with anything newer than gcc4 or against anything at or newer than say
glibc 2.6, glib 2.16 or gtk+ 2.14.

But even that is over a year old now, and may have trouble compiling
against the latest libraries using the latest gcc.  There's a regular
here, K Haley, that runs a git clone of the upstream pan repository at
gnome.  His repository includes patches against the latest gmime, among
other things, so you may wish to try that if you're running gmime 2.4,
not the 2.2 that was current when upstream pan 0.133 was cut.  Of course,
using "live" git sources like that does mean that you're running less
stable code, which might be an issue, but you can of course revert any
commits you find don't work well for you.

So I'd definitely recommend abandoning any attempt to compile old pan
0.14, stable or not.  Whether you go for the official 0.133 or khaley's
newer git repo version is then up to you, but either one should be FAR
simpler to build against anything even close to modern libraries, than
the old 0.14 code, which is now I think 5-6 years stale, despite it being
the latest "stable" version.