pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Follow question

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Follow question
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 02:31:16 +0000 (UTC)

Doug Saylor posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:03:17 -0500 as excerpted:

> Thanks again for everyone's help. Question: why didn't un-installing Pan
> then re-installing solve my problem? Thanks.

IIRC (after checking your OP), you're new to Linux from Windows, correct?

Linux works a bit differently than MS Windows in this regard.  Linux
separates user data and general system configuration and applications
much more effectively than MS does (or used to, anyway, I've not used MS
since 9x).  The idea is that one should not affect the other, both
because Linux, as with all *ix, was designed from the beginning as a
multi-user system, with each user having their own separate settings, and
so that each individual user and the system in general can be managed
separately.

So when you uninstalled pan, you uninstalled the executable and other
system data related to pan, but it didn't touch your user data, including
your pan user data.  Since that's where the problem was, uninstalling and
reinstalling pan did nothing to solve it.

Keep in mind that Linux (and Unix-like systems in general) are inherently
multi-user.  As such, one effective troubleshooting method to see if it's
your user config or a system setting at fault, is to create a new user,
with default settings, login as that user, and see if it works then.  If
it does, the problem is in your user config and must be fixed in the user
config.  If it doesn't, the problem is system-wide and must be fixed
system-wide.  When you are done testing, don't forget to delete the
testing user config (/home/user directory), so the next time you test
something, it's again starting from a clean config.  Otherwise, you're
not testing with a clean user config and you might see problems with the
old user config even if it's just a test user.